Wednesday, January 14, 2015

4 months in Texas

I'm sitting on the couch with Emberly sitting half on top of me telling me that she "just can't" (sleep, be quiet, have quiet time, rest, read, play quietly) during what used to be nap time in this house.  She alternates between the "just can't" and some rendition of "I'm hungry" or "I just need to do a project."  And this weary mama is about to lose it. 

I keep dreaming about moving into the 2-bedroom apartment in New Mexico where I can at least send her to her room for quiet time and close the door.  Except there is literally not a spot in our whole hotel room that I can send her (minus the bathroom... and trust me, it's tempting).  Sigh.

So I guess I just need to get over it. 

ONE more month left in Texas.  One.  We've lived here just about 4 months already.  Can you believe that?

And even more unbelievably, we've actually had a lot of fun.  We've made this our home, called it "our library" and "our zoo," etc.  We go to story time on Tuesdays and BSF on Thursdays.  We have pizza night and play at our park.  And oddly enough, it will be hard to leave the people and friendships and routine behind to start fresh all over again. 

Do you know that the first maybe 5 or 6 times I went grocery shopping I cried every time I got home?  It was overwhelming and what took me 30 minutes to do at home took me an hour and a half to find everything I needed.  And the driving.  Seriously.  I could not wait for the day that I did not need to use my GPS to find the grocery store.  And I'm fairly convinced that the interstate system took years off my life.  But now?  It's normal.  I have my grocery spot.  I don't need my GPS to find the grocery store or the library or the Children's Museum.  I kind of even like all of the options.  And in 4 short months, lots has changed.

Jordan went back to work today after having just about 3 weeks off for Christmas.  Before you start thinking the military life is all cush, just go ahead and remind yourself that we are living in a hotel room and sleeping on the floor for 4 months with a family of four.  But the three weeks was seriously wonderful and I was almost doubting my ability to be a solo-stay-at-home mama again.  But the Lord is gracious and we are surviving the day. 

And that's my Texas update.

1 comment: