Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Meet Piper

Meet Piper Elizabeth
Born at 2:48am
6 lb. 6 oz.
20 inches
Perfect in every way
















(Written on July 10, 11pm)
Dear Life,

Today has been an absolute whirlwind. Miss Piper Elizabeth was born today (today!) and I cannot even quite believe that:

A) I feel good enough to be writing this
B) I am still awake
C) it was as completely polar opposite to Emberly'sdelivery as it was.

Here's the story...

My water broke at about 8:15pm after getting home from dinner at the Mexican Village with my fantastic inlaws and tucking sweet Emberly into bed.

At the time, I wasn't entirely sure my water had actually broken, so after calling the birthing center and being advised to just see what happens over the next hour or so, we went in and had them check. Since my fluid was so low (hence the plan to be induced the next morning at 7am) I never felt a big gush like I did with Emberly. After confirming that it had in fact broken and consulting my doctor, the plan was to start my IV to treat strep B since I am positive, and then sleep the rest of the night and get things rolling in the morning if contractions hadn't kicked in on their own.

I decided to take a bath to relax a little and see if I could sleep on my own without a sleeping pill, so at about midnight I hopped in the tub for about an hour. I was having just a few sporadic contractions, but able to talk through them just fine and they didn't seem to be consistent.

Once I got out of the bath, I was presented with the option of taking half of a sleeping pill to see if I could get some rest before my big day. After being checked, I was only at 3cm, so it seemed very likely that I had quite a bit more time to put in. Through the whole conversation over the decision to take the pill, however, my contractions sure felt like they were picking up, but they weren't showing up on the monitor very well and it sure seemed that they were still very irregular and not very strong. So I decided to try the sleeping pill and see if I could rest some. By the time I got the pill it was at least 1:30am.

After turning out the light I had a big contraction. Then I tried to sleep a few minutes and had another BIG contraction. Jordan was trying to sleep in the chair next to me and I could tell he was thinking "Molly, you aren't even trying to sleep!" Then just a few moments later I had one more big contraction and told Jordan I wanted my mom there and I wanted an epidural. He reminded me I was only 3cm, but called for the nurse and my mom anyway.

The nurse also reminded me I was 3 cm, but said she'd call Dr. Vetter and see what he had to say. While she was gone calling him another nurse came in and said Dr. Vetter wanted me to be checked before an epidural (again, since I was only 3cm just moments before). She was quite surprised and announced I was 6.5cm and she'd tell Dr. Vetter and get the epidural going right away. It was 2:05am.

We quickly texted my mom and waited (somewhat painfully and impatiently) for the epidural team to arrive. My mom came first. I had another big contraction and felt like I needed to push. The nurse checked me again and I was still only 6.5cm. Then the epidural team came and started to prep me.

Once I sat up to the edge of the bed, however, I suddenly felt a tremendous urge to push. I told the nurse and she told the epidural people to back off while she checked me quick. Then somewhat shocked (or so it seemed to me) announced, "Ok Molly, you're complete. There's no time for an epidural, you're ready to push." That was literally 3 minutes after being checked and at 6.5cm.

I totally whimpered, "I don't think I can do it without an epidural!" I really wanted that epidural. But it didn't matter.

They all convinced me I could do it (aka I had to)... but I had to wait until Dr. Vetter got there, so I should breath through the contractions and not push (blow out candles). Um... No. There was no stopping my body. I tried really really hard. But that baby was crowning and ready to come out. At one point I remember a nurse telling me I had to concentrate on not pushing, but as soon as Dr. V got there baby would be here in one push. In my head I think I responded with, "challenge accepted."

After what felt like forever, Dr. Vetter rushed in the room, I pushed once, and out came Baby. That was at 2:48am.

Later the nurses told me they were ready to catch that baby - wondering if she'd be born without Dr. Vetter! They were thankful he got there in time. And I guess I was too. :)

And that was Piper's grand entrance into the world. Welcome baby! So glad you are here and in our arms. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment