Monday, November 18, 2013

Moms of kids with allergies...

Dear Moms of kids with allergies...

OK, I'll be honest... every time someone told me that their child had a sensitivity to certain foods the mom ate while breastfeeding, I secretly thought they were maybe slightly over analytical and had invented this in their brain.

And then Piper was born.  And every time I eat dairy she literally suffers for days.  I drank a half a glass of milk the other day because I was convinced that this was all in my head... and Piper was a fountain of spit up for over a day.  And then not thinking about the fact that ice cream is in fact dairy, ate a rather large bowl, and Piper spit up for over two days.  So... I'm not just kind of sure.  I'm really sure.

So I can cut out dairy, sure.  No problem.  {Actually... I want ice cream and milk and cheese and yogurt in a way that I've never wanted them before in my life...} 

But that's not the problem.  The problem is that I don't know where to go from here.  When E was about 4 months old we started giving her some baby food and rice cereal.  And instead of pumping I used formula for the maybe 2 times a month that I left Piper with someone else. 

But from what Google tells me, babies with food sensitivities while breastfeeding are more likely to develop allergies to those foods and others.  So does this mean that I should wait to introduce any baby food?  And what about formula?  Does this mean that if I give her a cow milk based formula she is more likely to be dairy intolerant for the rest of her life?  I am confused.  Please, if you have experience in this area... help a mama out.  :)

The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment