Tuesday, November 22, 2011

To my non-cloth-diapering mama friends... :)

Dear Non-cloth-diapering mamas,

I totally get that cloth diapering is not for everyone. Trust me, I do. When I first discovered the world of cloth diapers I couldn't even imagine why someone would choose to use them. I had about a million and five reasons why cloth diapering was archaic and disgusting, and now I have about a million and five reasons why I love cloth diaper fluff. But that is not the purpose of my blog post today and I will not try to convince you to use them, I promise. :) (Although I'm open to talking cloth diapers anytime if you're interested...) hehe

I am, however, going to jump up on my soapbox for just a moment to tell you about this wonderful thing called a wet bag, or a wet/dry bag because I believe all diapering mamas need to know about them, whether you use fluff (cloth diapers) or 'sposies' (as the cloth diapering world calls disposables). Had I not been introduced to cloth, I would not have known about this wonderful invention, and I think you need to know about wet bags just as much as I do.

A wet bag is a cute bag often made of PUL fabric or something similar that keeps wet inside the bag without leaking through. (That is why some are called wet/dry bags.) SO... If you go to the pool and come home with wet swimming suits, you throw the suits in this bag and transport the wet home without getting everything else wet. Neat, right?

I throw a wet bag in my diaper bag at all times in case Emberly soaks through her diaper and it gets her clothes wet and I need to transport her wet clothes home. I also have a wet bag with specifically for soiled diapers so that I can just dump the contents in with my diaper load, and then throw the wet bag in the wash and I don't have to touch them again when I get home. We have 3 different sizes, a small, medium, and large, so that I can grab the one that fits the outing best. I carry the small one with me if I'm just going to be gone a couple of hours, the medium if I'll be gone for the afternoon or evening, and the large if I'll be gone for a weekend.

Now, you may be wondering how this has anything to do with YOU, the non-cloth diapering mama (other than swimming pool trips). Well... I'll be honest. I don't really love to have poopy, smelly diapers in my trash. That is one of the reasons we use cloth. They never have time to get stinky and I'm not filling up my garbage can each week. Anywho - I am just guessing that churches and department stores and grandparents and friends also don't like your child's diapers in their trash, unless they too have diapers in their trash. So, wet bags are the perfect solution to not having to seek out a trash can that is appropriate to dump your child's dirty diaper in. Instead you just throw your child's dirty diaper in your wet bag and bring it home to your own trash! :) Problem solved!

Now... here is the best part. These little wet bags are CUTE. I mean, there are tons of colors and patterns and all sorts of fun. Ask for one for Christmas, or slip it in your next month's budget and splurge. (Or invite me to your baby shower... I will probably buy you one!) You will love it. I promise.

I have two Bummis wet bags and one Planet Wise wet bag and I like them both. The Planet Wise one is a little more heavy duty in my mind - but that is the only big difference. You can click on any of the links below to read more about them or order them. I believe the prices at Kelly's Closet and Cotton Babies are very similar, but sometimes one or the other has better shipping deals or whatever. AND... if you order when they happen to have a "Free Cloth Diaper with x amount of dollars purchase" - feel free to give it to me if you aren't going to use it! :) teeheehee

Ok. Totally done with my soapbox. Just wanted to share my learnings with you. Someone needs to write a book about all sorts of things to know when you become a new mom. Seriously. Now... if there are things I need to know, please share with me!

Yours Truly,
A Cloth Diapering Mama


Bummis:

https://www.kellyscloset.com/Bummis-Fabulous-Wet-Bags_p_3746.html

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=2193

Planet Wise:

https://www.kellyscloset.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Bags_p_3436.html

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=1769

No comments:

Post a Comment