Monday, December 3, 2012

Bedtime Bologna

I'm laying in bed (yes, I sure am!) listening to Emberly bounce around her crib... singing songs, talking to her teddies, and who knows what else while she is supposed to be napping.  It's been close to an hour.  Jordan and I have each been in there once.  Jordan got the pleasure of changing a messy diaper, I got to just lay her back down and say it is time to sleep. 

She is sneaky though.  We go in there to tell her it's time for "nigh-nigh" as she calls it, and she signs "eat" or "drink" or "play" - and thinks that it is going to get her out of a nap.  She is desperately tired and yet won't stop long enough to actually sleep.  So here it is 12:30 and she is supposed to be waking UP from a nap, and she hasn't even fallen asleep yet. 

Some days she gets just one nap, other days she gets two... but what she really needs is about one and a half.  Someone figure that one out for me.


My mom called this stalling, complaining, "I need a drink" or "I'm scared" or "I'm suddenly very hungry" stuff bedtime bologna when I was growing up.  I think my child inherited it from me.

 

2 comments:

  1. When you figure this out, let me know. Josie does it all the time too. One nap isn't enough, two rarely happens. I've started calling it "quiet time" in the afternoon because she doesn't sleep but needs to be alone for a while. We both need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet time is still a lovely thing! We have just decided one nap = 7pm bedtime and 2 naps = 8pm bedtime for the most part. There are always exceptions... but it seems to work well and gives us grace for being on the go, or a non-sleepy babe!

    ReplyDelete